Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: A Very British Christmas


After my interesting adventure in actually getting to England, I finally made it to my friend Tom’s parent’s house on Christmas Eve.  Despite the slight awkwardness with some of his relatives assuming I was his girlfriend, we had a really lovely time. I got to experience Christmas the English way. 

Which means, lots of food, the Queen’s speech on TV, and my favorite: Christmas Crackers.

We had a nice meal on Christmas Day which consisted of: first, a starter of either prawn (shrimp) cocktail or garlic mushrooms; then, the main course of turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pigs in blankets (which are different from American pigs in the blanket as I discovered), Brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, and mince pies; and finally, Christmas pudding as dessert.

Other than the sprouts, which I’m not a fan of, it was all really tasty! The Christmas pudding was interesting. I didn’t dislike it, but I think it is a bit of an acquired taste; I would equate it as the British version of a fruitcake.

After the meal, we got to pull our Christmas crackers. For those ignorant Americans out there, who like me had no idea what a Christmas cracker was, it looks like this: 


Two people each pull one end of it and it pops a little bit like a mild firecracker. Whoever gets the bigger end of the cracker, gets what’s inside: a small prize like a pen or dice, a slip of paper with a joke and fact on it to read to the group, and the best part: a paper crown to wear! (see end of last post)

After dinner, we watched the Queen’s speech, then I dance battled both of Tom’s parents at Just Dance 4! After dance time, I got to watch the Doctor Who Christmas special live, which was great. 

The next day, which is also a day off in the UK called Boxing Day, Tom’s grandparents came over and we had yet another big meal. This time, his mom baked a whole salmon for us, and we had leftover veggies from Christmas to go with it. It was delicious too!

The main thing I learned from this experience is that Christmas crackers need to make their debut in America, post haste. Those things are awesome!!

So that was my very British Christmas, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am really grateful to Tom and his parents for allowing me into their home so I wouldn’t be by myself in France on Christmas.

Today, I am headed back to France from my New Year’s jaunt in London. I’ve been visiting my friend Kate for New Year’s Eve and Day. We had a really fun time! That is coming up on the blog tomorrow for Day 3. See you then!

xx Kaylin

No comments:

Post a Comment