Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 28: My American Travel Bucket List

When I first started traveling overseas, I couldn't wait to get out of the US. I wanted to leave for good, and never come back. (For the record, W Bush was still president then. Most sane people wanted to leave.)

Now, however, I see some things that my home country has that I really like. Places I've never been that I would just LOVE to go one day. They're not in my immediate plans, because my immediate plans are taking me to New Zealand and probably Australia, but the next time I'm back in the States, I'm going to make a serious effort to hit up these places.


    1. The Grand Canyon-- I mean come on. This place is epic. I want to do the hike down into it, and take like a gazillion pictures. It's just gorgeous, and a national treasure.

    2. Boston-- one of the more historical cities in our vast nation, and one of the few I've never been to. Plus, I'd love to check out Harvard and see what all the smarty-pants are up to.
    Cute kitty in Hemingway's House via NPR

    3. South Florida-- I've never been south of Tampa. My best friend lives in Miami, so of course I'm going to hit up Miami Beach. But, I'd absolutely flip to see the Everglades and the Florida Keys. So many animals!! (The Keys are home to a load of six-toed cats, all descended from Ernest Hemingway's polydactyl feline.) In the Everglades, I want to do one of those fan-boat tours and try some gator meat.

    5. New Orleans-- this crazy city is only 5 hours' drive from my home in Alabama (not far in US standards), and yet I've never been. I'd probably avoid it during the madness of Mardi Gras, and the middle of sticky hot August, but I'm game to check out Bourbon Street and the Garden District any other time of year.

    6. Texas-- Again, Texas isn't that far from where I live and I've never been. Austin's weirdness is just calling my name.

    7. Family and friends all over-- After college and my travels, I've got friends all over the States, from Wisconsin to Colorado. I've also got cousins in North Carolina I haven't seen in ages. I want to catch up with everyone!

    So yeah, those are my top places to hit in the States. I'd also love to visit one of my best friends in Canada (if she's there; she travels like I do), and some of my new made-in-France friends from the Caribbean. One day!!

    What are some places you'd love to visit in the good ol' US of A? Leave me a comment!

    Now it's my bed time.
    See ya next time,
    xx Kaylin

    No comments:

    Post a Comment