Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 4: Ice Skating

I apologize in advance for the brevity of this post. I haven't felt well since late yesterday evening.

Today I wanted to post photographic evidence of me ice skating for the first time!

Action Shot!

Yes, I managed to go 24 years and 4 months without ice skating a single time in my life until 4 days ago! That's what happens when you grow up somewhere that things don't really freeze and everything shuts down for 2 inches of snow. 

I was terrified at first, but once you get the hang of it, actually it's not really any different or harder than regular skating. Of course, I haven't skated on normal wheeled skates in about 9 years either! I only fell once, because me and my friend Kate decided to hold hands while skating but then got caught in a bottleneck. Rather than plow through a small child, I fell over instead. No lasting harm done, though my backside was sore for a little while. 

We went to the Natural History Museum skating area in Kensington, London. (Tube: South Kensington) There's also skating at Somerset House as well. (Tube: Temple)

Prices and Times: It was £14.50 for adults (£10 for kids) for 50 minutes of skating
The Natural History Museum skating area is still open through January 6 so if you're in London, you should check it out. They're open tonight until 11pm, tomorrow 9am- 11pm, and Sunday 9am-9pm. 

Somerset House has similar times and prices.

If you won't make it there this weekend, don't fret. It's open every year from the beginning of November to the beginning of January. 

Me and friends by the Christmas tree in the center of the rink

Have you been ice skating since you could walk, or are you a late starter like me? Let me know in the comments!

xx Kaylin

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually a later starter - the only time I went ice skating was in Rouen, at the age of 25.

    But it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if I'd say it was easy but I fell like only once or twice. I thought I would fall much more often, so I'm relieved I did a good job of staying on my feet.

    I don't know why I haven't gone skating more often - probably because I'm more of a runner. Actually, I often forget I go ice skating. But that night in Rouen was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete